Chronic throat irritation,cough,difficulty in sleeping,acid reflux

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...Hello, I have had a chronic throat irritation/cough since Dec.2008. Had chest x-rays, used inhalers and sinus meds, took omeprazole 40 mgs. 3 months, various digestive aids and of late 40mgs.Nexium for 3 months. Yet it is only getting worse! I now must use a large assortment of sleep aids and even then I often need to resort to a lounger. I am 61, heretofore in great health and non-smoker. Am at wits end! Should I double the Nexium dose or try another PPI? I sense that acid reflux may be the culprit, perhaps having injured my lower esophageal sphincter. Is there an easier way to diagnose other than an endoscopy? Thank you!!

Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later

Thanks for your query ,I have read through the details .

Yes ,one of the cause for such chronic throat irritation could probably
be GERD ( Gastro esophageal reflux disease ).Endoscopy is the gold standard investigation needed in this case.It provides better information of the esophagus and stomach in the form of real images Tab Nexium is one of the best for the same .
Well failures have been recorded with Nexium sometimes , hence trying another PPI could be a better intervention. You can go for preparations of Lansoprazole as its newer and better.

But,causes in the larynx and pharynx like growths ,chronic tonsillar infection , Chronic pharyngitis should be ruled out.A detailed throat examination and a throat swab for further studies may be of help here.

Gargle with CHLORHEXIDINE gargles twice daily , it will alleviate the irritation and also prevent infections in the already sensitive throat mucosa irritation in throat being a common presentation in Reflux disease

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Thanks for visiting WWW.WWWW.WW
Take care , Bye

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.