Chronic sinusitis, nasal congestion, yeasty smell in nose, taken probiotics

I have a strong yeasty smell in my nose which is causing me concern. It has been there for several days. I have a history of chronic sinusitis and allergies, but this has never presented before. I also have mild ear pain in both ears whenever my nose is clogged. There is some nasal congestion as well. I am already taking probiotics. Please help me.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 3 hours later

From the description of your symptoms, you might be having one of the following conditions.

‎1. Chronic nonallegic rhinitis: This condition is associated with rhinorrhea (nasal discharge), sneezing and congestion. It can be associated with allergic symptoms of the eye.

‎2. Atrophic rhinitis : Due to chronic sinusitis or related processes, the mucosa undergoes degeneration. This can present with foul smell in the breath.

‎3. Perrenial Allergic rhinitis: - Since you have a history of allergies - you might get evaluated by skin and blood tests to detect any increase in eosinophils or increased AEC (Absolute Eosinophil Count).

‎4. You might get your thyroid function tests again - to rule out any underlying subclinical hypothyroidism.

‎5. Presence of bilateral ear pain could be due to Chronic otitis media, a infection which can flare up with worsening of your allergies. You might get evaluated to rule out any perforated ear drum and associated infection in the middle ear cavity, which might be causing the pain.

6. Fungal infection of the sinuses : could also be a cause which produce a foul smell in the nose.

To know the exact cause of your symptoms you might consult a ENT specialist and get a few tests including a
1. CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses)
2. Endosopic studies of the nasal cavities.

You can also request your doctor for a prescription of medications including antibiotics, a montelukast inhibitor ( Like Singulair) and a steroid nasal spray for a few days which might give you proper relief.

In addition your doctor might evaluate the need for definitive treatment of your chronic sinusitis - by a procedure called Functional Endoscopic Sinus surgery. This procedure clears the infected mucosa in the sinuses allowing for healing and proper ‎drainage. This reestablishes sinus ventilation to correct mucosal opposition in order to restore the ‎mucociliary clearance system. About 85% of patients get complete or moderate relief of ‎symptoms following FESS. ‎

In the mean time you can use medications like
1. Oxymetazoline nasal spray - to relieve nasal congestion and blocked nose.
2. Clarytin - to reduce allergy related symptoms.
3. Ibuprofen 400 mg tablets - to reduce your ear pain.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any ‎follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Dr Anvekar.