Chronic scrotal pain. Hernia and torsion tests negative. Doppler and scan report normal. Mild varicocele detected. Permanent solution?

Urologist
Question
hi, i have chronic scrotal pain on the right side which comes and go for couple of days.....all tests for hernia, torsion, is negative and every all other readings for testicular size and abdomen doppler and scan are all normal i have mild varicocele on the right side which according to the doc should not give the pain but yet the painful episode is quite recurrent and can be quite painful at times with right testicals pulled up, pain killers gives me relief until the next episode... pls help
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Testicle Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later
Hello.

Varicocele is the dilatation of the testicular vein. Usually it does not cause any problem. However, it occassionally causes chronic pain or infertility.

We usually do not offer treatment for pain caused by varicocele because significant patients experience pain of the scar.

However, if the pain is troublesome and significant then it should be operated upon. The severity of pain has no relation to the degree of varicocele. Hence, if you have chronic pain and also varicocele you should get it operated upon. It shall help yourself.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Chronic scrotal pain. Hernia and torsion tests negative. Doppler and scan report normal. Mild varicocele detected. Permanent solution? 24 minutes later
can varicocele cause infections like prostatitis or orchitis, once my doctor said it is a infection and put me on antibiotics, the pain and the inflamation did subside but subsequent doppler didnt show any infection, and niether was any blood test taken..sorry to say the urologist i visited didnt seem to be of much help, just puts me on nsaid's, which iam sure is a temprorary solution... thanks doc.. just answer this for me.:)

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow-up.

Varicocele does not cause orchitis or prostatitis.

Most of the doctors shall put the patient on NSAIDs as there is no other solution available other than surgery. What you can try is to keep your testis elevated with scrotal support. However, if that does not help then surgery is the only option.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you no further queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Regards.