Chronic pain, sudden increase of heartbeat. On Opioid therapy and Oxycodone IR. What precautions should I take?

Hello, I recently started an opioid therapy for chronic pain. I took about 7.5mg of Oxycodone IR and my heart began to beat insanely fast for about 2mins. I had to call emergency but soon after, my heart became more stable so I just enjoyed the med.

I have to dose soon but I'm afraid of this, any tips?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 10 hours later

I suppose the opioid therapy has been started with clear instructions from your treating doctor. It is not advisable to take opioids on your own without a doctor's prescription.

Oxycodone can cause potentially XXXXXXX hypotension. The increase in heart rate is due to falling blood pressure. It is good that the heart rate stabilized soon. But I am afraid.

It is better that you take this medicine under medical guidance i.e. with a nurse or doctor around you, better to take it at the doctor's office.

If you get accustomed to the drug and feel fine over 2 to 3 sittings, then you may consider taking it at home by yourself.

Please discuss about these with your treating doctor.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Chronic pain, sudden increase of heartbeat. On Opioid therapy and Oxycodone IR. What precautions should I take? 9 hours later
Thanks for the reply. Eventually, the doctor gave me instructions, however, I had to dose at home since they are very busy. I have to take this med, I can't speak about this problem to my doctor because I would need to wait 2 months to get another appointment.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

I would suggest you to be extra-cautious while you take the medicine. Oxycodone IR is instant release tablet (IR), i.e. the medicine is released instantly as it enters the body, and instead you can try a plain oxycodone tablet which will act over time and slowly.

You need to be careful for the first few times you take the medicine. With gradual dosing over 3 to 4 times, if your symptoms subside, then you can continue to take the drug safely.

Please note that oxycodone has high abuse and dependence potential. You should take it only if the drug benefits you in relieving the pain.

Personally, I will not suggest you to take this drug very often since you are young and I need you to lead a healthy life. Do not take the drug for a long time because of its adverse effects.

Try simple analgesics for your pain, do physiotherapy, maintain correct back posture.

Get well soon.