Chronic pain due to pancreatitis, suffered from Grey Turner's sign. What can I expect for the rest of my life concerning my health and comfort?

I suffered from Grey Turner's sign in December, 2009. I had stones blocking my pancreatic duct/s (?), which led to pancreatitis and then to hemorrhaging of my pancreas. While in I.C.U, my sister noticed bruising on my sides and lower back while helping me into the hospital shower. I was in intensive care for quite awhile and was in excruciating pain. Ten days after being in Intensive Care, they finally placed a feeding tube, which by-passed my stomach and into the small intestine. They then sent me to another hospital where I had a sphincterotomy and a procedure to sweep that area clean (cannot remember the technical term). I have been advised that there are very few who survive this; hence, do not have much information to go on to treat me for the chronic pain that I have. I am currently on vicodin as needed and gabapentin. What can I expect for the rest of my life concerning my health and comfort?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Pain in pancreatitis is often severe and persistent. Since you have already been operated upon, the pain is likely to subside gradually.

Chronic pains are generally hard to treat.

Continued use of pain relieving medications along with alternative therapies such as accupunture may be helpful. You can continue using vicodin on as needed basis. Taking Gabapentin regularly will help in decreasing the pain perception in the long run.

If the pain is still persistent then consulting a pain specialist will be helpful who will grade your pain according to severity and will treat you accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.