Chronic pain behind the navel. Had endometriosis. Have Thyroiditis along with Diverticulosis. Reason of the pain?

Jan 2013

I've been experiencing chonic pain behind my navel and slightly below it, about an inch, for the past 4 months now. I'm 53 years old, and I suffer from endometriosis. I've had 2 laparoscopies performed about 15 years ago in addition to a c-section in 1996. Additonally, I have Hasimoto's Thyroiditis along with Diverticulosis. Do you have any idea what could be causing this pain? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Considering your symptoms you may be suffering from abdominal endometriosis or gastric problem.
Pain at navel is suggestive of gastric problems and as you a known case of endometriosis, this possibility can not be excluded.
Do you have any gastric problem such as abdominal bloating, acidity, burning sensation in abdomen?
You should go for upper GI tract endoscopy and Laparoscopy for details evaluation.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis doesn't cause abdominal pain until unless patient has severe constipation.
Diverticulitis apart from pain also cause fever. Do you have fever and blood in stools? If not, then there is least chances.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Chronic pain behind the navel. Had endometriosis. Have Thyroiditis along with Diverticulosis. Reason of the pain? 8 hours later
Thank you for responding! I don't have a fever or blood in my stools, but I do experience a chronic burning and pulling sensation which is moderately painful. Sometimes this pulling sensation runs from the navel down to my c-section scar. I have been in remission with my enometriosis for 15 years now. Nothing that I seem to eat or drink exacerbates the pain. Should I still follow up with a GI tract endoscopy? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later
If pain is going down from navel to c-section scar then you should also go for ultrasound imaging studies, CT/ MRI scan.
Yes, you should go for UGI endoscopy as you have chronic burning sensation.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava