Chronic migraines, nausea, vomiting. Taking maxalt, phenergan, vyvanse, synthroid. Should it be serious for rock like material comming out of stomach?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am a busy, 40 year old mother of 2, with chronic migraines since childhood that I treat with Maxalt 10mg tablets and phenergan if needed. I currently take 90mg Cymbalta for depression/fibromialgia, 60mg Vyvanse for ADD, and Synthroid for hypothyroidism daily. Last night around midnight, I developed a migraine which didn't go away with my Maxalt. By 7am this morning, I was feeling severe nausea in addition to the head pain, and took 25mg Phenergan orally. About 30 minutes after taking phenergan, I vomited anyway. My concern is that my vomit was pretty forceful / violent and there was no food in my stomach. I vomited mostly clear liquid, then bile, and finally at the very end I vomited up a couple of small rock-like chunks followed by a large rock-like ball. It wasn't like anything I've ever seen before and I hadn't eaten anything that even remotely resembled it. Once that was out of my stomach - around 9:00am this morning, all my symptoms began to get better. Now I am tired, but pain-free and no longer nauseated. Do you think I should be concerned about the rock-like material that came out of my stomach? I saw a couple of posts online that indicated this might be something to worry about. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 10 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Since you are now relieved of gastrointestinal symptoms you need not worry. The ball could have been an inspissated bolus of indigestible food.

It would be advisable to get yourself investigated by undergoing ultrasound examination of the abdomen and a plain x XXXXXXX of the abdomen in standing position.

This can be done on an elective basis.

Increase the intake of water in order to have good bowel propulsion.

I hope that answers your query. Do write back in case of follow up queries that you may have.

With regards