Chronic headaches, night sweats, cough, body aches. Increased WBC levels. Referred to haematology. Why?

Hi for the past year I've been feeling generally unwell, I've had over whelming (for example last september I felt like I could just not move, lately getting chronic headaches one last week the worst I've ever had. I have a cough(4 weeks now, non smoker) no head cold, pains and aches everywhere. my wbc has been 14.3, previously 18 & 19 and I'm not sure why I have a haematology referral for next week. I would appreciate if anyone knew why I would see a haematologist and am i ruling something out. thank you also some night sweats, some very bad, also for the past year I've had a change in my period cycle going from a regular 28 days to 28 days, 5,6,8 weeks, I'm a 36 year old mum of one,
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ajith Puthillath 2 hours later

You have leucocytosis, which is a slight increase in your WBC (White Blood Cells) count. I am not sure the reason for hematology referral. The leucocytosis may sometimes be reactive to a infection. I think the reason could be to rule out CLL, which is chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.

With the information I have, I believe the reason could likely be reactive.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.