Chronic dry cough since three months. History of dust allergy, heartburn, acidity. Treatment for cough?

Question
I am having too much of cough since past 2-3 months.Its not getting cured.I want to know the reason for that...
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 26 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I would like to know a few more details:
1. Can you describe your cough? Is it dry or with phlegm?
2. If you have phlegm what kind is it? Any blood tinged phlegm that you have observed?
3. Do you have any post-nasal drip?
4. Did you suffer from a bout of viral/bacterial illness in the past 2 months for which you got treatment?
5. Do you have associated mild fever, significant weight loss, general feeling of being un-well?
6. Do you smoke and if yes how much?
7. Are you allergic to dust, pollen or any other inhaled agents?
8. Do you suffer from Asthma?
9. Have you been suffering from acidity, heartburn symptoms?
10. Have you recently acquired a new pet?
11. Have you been suffering from breathlessness, swelling of feet ?

The causes of a chronic cough could be Post Nasal Drip (Nose and Sinus Conditions), Gastroesophogeal Reflux Disease, Chronic Bronchitis from Tobacco, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Asthma, Tuberculosis, Lung Cancer, Heart Failure.

My suggestion would be that you get the following investigations done to find the exact cause.
1. CBC (Complete Blood Count)
2. ESR
3. X XXXXXXX Chest
4. Sputum examination
5. Allergen test ( to rule out allergies if any)
6. Spirometry test

Kindly revert with answers to all the questions above so that I could help you better.

Follow-up: Chronic dry cough since three months. History of dust allergy, heartburn, acidity. Treatment for cough? 18 minutes later
1. Can you describe your cough? Is it dry or with phlegm ----- Its dry
2. If you have phlegm what kind is it? Any blood tinged phlegm that you have observed? ------ No
3. Do you have any post-nasal drip? --- No
4. Did you suffer from a bout of viral/bacterial illness in the past 2 months for which you got treatment? --- No
5. Do you have associated mild fever, significant weight loss, general feeling of being un-well? ----- No
6. Do you smoke and if yes how much? ---- No
7. Are you allergic to dust, pollen or any other inhaled agents? --- Yes
8. Do you suffer from Asthma? ---- No
9. Have you been suffering from acidity, heartburn symptoms? ---- Yes
10. Have you recently acquired a new pet? ----- No
11. Have you been suffering from breathlessness, swelling of feet ? ----- No

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 19 minutes later

Thank you for reverting with the answers.

We can narrow down the cause of your cough to allergic symptoms or to your acid reflux symptoms.

Allergy can flare a chronic cough. The treatment of which is usually a long term anti-histaminic with mast cell stabiliser. You need to try and avoid the allergen which might be triggering your cough.

Acid reflux can lead to a chronic cough as well. I would suggest you get your acidity symptoms treated.

1. You could get your doctor to prescribe you a proton pump inhibitor which would help relieving your acidity.
2. Increase your water intake (at-least 2 and 1/2 liters per day).
3. Restrict spicy and oily food.
4. Avoid late nights.
5. Get 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
6. Moderate use of alcohol.
7. Sleep with the head end of your head raised.
8. Try and minimize stress levels in your life (personal and professional front).

I would suggest that you undergo the able said investigations non-the-less so that we rule out any other causes. you might need to get an Endoscopy done if your acidity symptoms are not relieved even after treatment with medications for a month.

Hope I have answered you query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.