Chronic constipation, unable to defecate properly, throat, chest and back pain, nausea. Treatment for constipation?

I have an appointment with a gastrolentonologist but not until April. I've been suffering constipation FOR YEARS. The constipation I suffer is odd as most (99%) of the time, when I FINALLy do have to go, I can't deficate. I can feel the pressure, but unless I physically use my fingers to push around the anus it just won't come out. It's like I strain to push, but NO RESPONSE..My anus is not feeling me push. Also for many years, I've been suffering from chest/back/breastbone pain. It gets worse when I eat. When I'm stressed out I feel the pain and as well as it feels like my throat is closing tight.The pain I feel is excruciating and have started eating less and less as I over all, I just feel 'sickly' nauseous etc. My husband noticed that I cough more than usual upon eating or drinking and I chalk it up to accidently inhaling into my lungs. I cough a lot at night as well. HELP?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

The constipation in your case may have two components-
1) Slow transit - secondary to hypothyroidism and some of the drugs like clonazepam. This can be corrected by addressing the cause.
2) Pelvic floor dysfunction- where there is disco-ordination among the muscles involved in defecation. The history of fingering and the feeling of stool getting struck are classical of this condition. This can be diagnosed by a MR defecogram and an anal manometry. This is usually managed with biofeedback exercises

The history of choking and coughing at night may indicate a reflux disease.

Hence try and get a GI appointment early so that these things can be looked into and corrective measures taken. Meanwhile you could try laxatives, proton pump inhibitors and prokinetics. However, these are prescription drugs and can be obtained only after evaluation by your treating physician.