Chromosomal abnormalities, yolk sac size, heartbeat is normal

I am currently 11 weeks and each week my baby has reached the growth it should and the heartbeat is 163. Problem being my yolk sac was 7.2 mm on the 7 week scan and 9.4mm on the 8 week scan (it is now on its way down). Does this mean I am at a higher risk for chromosonal abnormalities?

Posted Thu, 10 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

These changes in the yolk sac are not sensitive or specific for chromosomal abnormalities. I would not interpret this as a worrisome result at this time and I would continue with close monitoring and interval ultrasound scans as scheduled.

While some studies have been done to try and correlate yolk sac size with chromosomal abnormalities or miscarriage there have not been studies which have delivered definitive evidence of this as of yet.

I would recommend that if in future ultrasounds that there are any changes or abnormalities other than the yolk sac that you should consider chromosomal testing which can be done by the obstetrician.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response o be helpful and informative. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga