Cholesterol test high value, no heart disease. Father died of lung cancer. Is the high cholesterol dangerous?

i have been given 6. 9 cholestrol level iam 58 - taking no other tablets no heart desease with my Father who died 88 from lung cancer , recent blood tests which I have yearly were all clear .
Do I need to worry ??
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

It depends a bit. Was this a true fasting serum cholesterol or random? If it was a truly fasting sample then 6.9 is a bit high. If, on the other hand, it was taken after a Full English Breakfast then it's normal.

To answer your question: No, in my opinion you do not need to worry. I happen to believe that Statins are a major international industry, generating billions of dollars annually at the behest of the multinational pharmaceutical giants, aided and abetted by the medical profession.

If you do not have a history of "familial hypercholesterolaemia" and you do not have any symptoms of CAD(Caronory Artery disease) or hypertension, then I would not worry and I would give the statins a miss.

Just like anyone else. Be sensible. Take lots of exercise. Eat lots of fruit and veg and avoid the Full you-know-what like the plague.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.