Cholesterol test done. Explain if this is high or low and how to interpret the result.

Cardiologist, Interventional
I recently did the cholestorl test and the results are as below:
Total Cholestrol : 143mg/dl.
Please explain if this is very high or low or how to interpret the result.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 1 hour later
Thank you for your query.

A total cholesterol value of 143 mg/dl is considered as normal.
A value more than 200 mg/dl is considered high.

Ideally, it would be better to do a complete fasting lipid profile. This will give you the values of total cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and VLDL cholesterol levels.

LDL cholesterol is the bad cholesterol and HDL cholesterol is the good cholesterol. The complete lipid profile will give a better idea about your health and risks of any future cardiac or cerebral events.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me again for any further clarifications.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

With regards,
Dr RS Varma