Cholesterol, low BP, bulge in central stomach, blister. Possible hernia?

Dear Doctor
I am a male 64 years old, I have had very good health history and no surgery and no hospitalization. its about 4 years I take cholestrol pill after mine was 230, which is 180 now and take blood pressure pills for 3 years after it was 14 /9.
it's couple of years, when I do semi sit ups I will get a bulge in the center of upper stomach from 10cm above navel up to below my rib cage, it seems a small beer can is pushed sideway upward from inside.
It is normal in other times when there is no pressure on my stomach mussels, and there is no pain no other complication.
I am 68inches (173cm) tall and 185lbs (84k) and rather big belly, which I think I am a little over weight.
I have seen all kind of Hernia pictures but nothing similar to what I have and I am not even sure that can be a Hernia.
By the way couple of weeks ago I have noticed a very small blister shape white skin, 1/4 inch in diameter at the bottom of my Navel which under stomach pressure or coughing, bulges out about couple of mm, but still is inside my Navel and when I push I feel something the size of head of a Q tip goes back inside, again no pain or any other abnormality.
I eat a lot of fruit and raw vegetables with my dinner and sometimes my stomach becomes hard and bolted.
I appreciate if you could guess if they are Hernia and what I should do about it. Does a Hernia belt or back support type belt that covers your stomach help?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

From your description, it does sound like you have a hernia. It's possibly in two places.

There are different kinds of hernia and only an examination can tell what kind you have. You need to be examined by a surgeon to determine the type of hernia.

Hernia occurs due to a gap in the anterior abdominal wall where a certain area may be weak due to stress,surgery etc. Obesity makes your muscles weak also.

I suggest that you see a surgeon to decide upon the management of the hernia.

A support belt may not have any permanent effect of a hernia. Surgery is the usual treatment. You need to avoid putting any stress on your abdomen like sit ups,coughing,lifting heavy weights etc.

Hernia is not an emergency. But if at any time, you feel severe pain, discolouration of the skin etc then go to the emergency room asap.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.