Cholesterol is 148-TGL and 220-HDL. Advice?

my total cholesterol is 148 - TGL is 220 -HDL is 39 - LDL 65 - VLDL 44 - T.Chol/HDL is 3.8 and LDL/HDL is 1.7 -- please advice me
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Might have to increase fibator dose and exercise

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

As each parameter in the lipid profile helps in depicting a specific result, I shall address each parameter individually and then draw the final conclusion. Let us start:
- Total cholesterol: 148 mg/dL (less than 200 mg/dL is considered normal, and holds a minimum to no risk of heart disease); so this is a good value
- Triglycerides: 220 (200 - 499 carries a high risk of coronary artery disease); so this value is high and will require medical attention
- HDL: 39 mg/dL (In males, it is best to have a value above 40 mg/dL as this is the good cholesterol); so this value is also good, but it will have to be improved, as the HDL can help in reducing risk for heart disease. Exercise is advised to increase this value
-LDL: 65 mg/dL (a value of less than 100 mg/dL is considered an optimal value); so this result is good

The above listed parameters shall suffice, and we do not really require VLDL and the ratio of T.C./HDL to assess your condition.

Advice for such a report would be the following:
- Exercise
- Increased physical activity
- TLC diet (to schedule a consultation with a dietitian or nutritionist for the same)

From your history I already see a cardiac history, and that you are already on a statin (Fibator). How long have you been on fibator? Because if you have been on this medication for long (i.e. since 2007) and still have a result as above, then we might have to increase the dose. If you have only started then, it is fine, and will improve soon. I would also advice you to increase your physical activity, as this would also be mandatory.

I hope you found my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or information, I would be more than happy to help.