Cholesterol 170 and blood pressure 120/70. Feeling out of breath. Should I be concerned? Could have a heart attack or aoric dissection?

Hi. I just did a 20 minute run and during the middle of it I stopped because I was out of breath and to check my heart rate. I am a personal trainer and am somewhat familiar with a healthy target heart rate zone. I am 20 years old so a good target rate would be about 170. However, when I checked it was 210! I immediately walked it off for five minutes before finishing up with a light 5 minute jog. I have no family history of heart problems and lift weights regularly. My cholesterol is 170 and my blood pressure is about 120/70. Should I be concerned that I have injured my heart or scarred it to a point where I could have a heart attack or aoric dissection?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 52 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query to us.

As you had mentioned that your age is 20, so the target heart rate for your age should be 220-age that means 220-20= 200.

Since you are 20 years of age the possibility of heart attack at this age is rare. But the symptoms which you had mentioned cannot be ignored. The pain associated with heart attack & aortic dissection is very severe. I would advise you to get your Chest X-ray & ECG done & consult a Cardiologists. Based of your clinical examination finding, the cardiologist will decide whether you are having any underlying heart problem like any problems with the heart valves or any infection. He may also ask you to get a sonography of heart – a 2D Echocardiography, which will help to reach the diagnosis. Don’t worry.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further doubt, I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Cholesterol 170 and blood pressure 120/70. Feeling out of breath. Should I be concerned? Could have a heart attack or aoric dissection? 4 minutes later
Thank you for getting back to me doctor. I had an ECG and x-ray done about 2 months ago and my results showed no underlying heart problem. In terms of my general fitness I am in decent shape be aide of the weight lifting but I never do cardio so that was probably why my heart rate was so high. I was just curious if a one-time occurrence would do damage or if it needs to be done repeatedly overtime to do damage. Either way ill push myself a lot less the next time out. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 23 minutes later

Its good that your Xray & ECG are normal. It is possible that you had never done cardio & you had stretched yourself that day more, so for that reason you had these symptoms. If this is your first episode so you should be more cautious while doing it for the second time. Kindly consult a cardiologist who will check you clinically for any abnormality. If everything is normal than you can continue with your jogging without any fear in mind.

Once time jogging will not cause any damage to heart, unless you have any underlying heart disease. So first kindly rule out if there is any problem before pushing yourself to cardio exercises further.