Cholangiocarcinoma phaito protene 6.4 <10. What does this mean? Required treatment?

Oncologist, Surgical
cholangiocarcinoma phaito protene 6.4 <10, 19.9 354,esr 28 what is the possibility of treatment or realy problam? bile drain outside ,now bilu rubin 4<(bilu rubin comes down 24 to below 5)i want send 2 time ct scan report if u alow me
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 9 hours later
From the reports which are enclosed, the patient appears to have cholangiocarcinoma of the confluence of bile ducts - medically called Klatskins' tumor. That means that there is cancer at the junction where right and left hepatic ducts (tubes that drain bile from right and left portions of liver) join to form a common single duct.

The CT scan also shows that the tumor has encased portal veins and its tributaries. That means that the tumor has encompassed the main vein of the liver.

The report also says that there is minimal ascites. That means that there is free fluid in the abdomen.

This means that the patient has advanced cancer of the bile ducts. This is NOT amenable to surgery. In view of jaundice and altered liver functions, chemotherapy could also be difficult. You may please check with your doctor for that. If feasible, brachytherapy (localised radiation) can be tried. Again check with your doctor for feasibility.

But overall, the outlook is poor and guarded meaning cure looks unlikely and survival chances beyond a few weeks or months look remote.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns