Choking easily, coughing deeply, feeling faint, vomiting. Had pneumonia

I choke easily and often. When it occurs I will cough very deeply. Sometimes it feels like I may pass out or vomit the coughing is so XXXXXXX I do this maybe once every two weeks. the cough feels wet like when I had pneumonia several years ago.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for cementing your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

The symptoms that you report are concerning for a possible narrowing of your Aesop I guess.

Symptoms of narrowing of the esophagus include difficulty with swallowing especially solid foods as well as choking sensation which can come and go from time to time.

The most optimal way to a value wait for what is going on would be for you to request a consultation with a gastroenterologist. This specialist can perform a very simple procedure to look inside your gastrointestinal tract and look at your esophagus with a tiny camera. If there was some degree of narrowing the gastroenterologist can try to find out why this is going on and he can possibly perform a procedure to help relieve the narrowing.

I recommend that you discuss this with your primary care physician and request a possible consultation with a gastroenterologist.

I thank you again for submitting your question. If you have any additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Dr. Robert