Choked throat, swallowing pressure, dry mouth, sore neck glands, anxiety, heavy chest. Why are these things happening?

ENT Specialist
Question
ThroatFor a few weeks now my throat has felt like there is something stuck in it and also kinda like pressure when I swollow. I am on flexeril because I have tmj and it says one of the side effects was dry mouth could my throat just be dry . My glands in my neck have also been sore and tender. Also I have anxiaty symptoms sometimes including racing heart heavy chest fear of dying or fear that something is wrong with me and also a foggy dream like feeling. I am not on medicine for this cause its never been a problem but lately its getting worse and worse. Could the anxiaty like symptoms be related to my throat or something else?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) causes dryness in the throat, similar to an anti-histaminic. It may also worsen anxiety and cause the foggy dream like feeling. Flexeril is usually discontinued after a couple of weeks. If you have been taking Flexeril for more than two weeks, you may have to discuss with your doctor to change your medication. Check to see whether you have been prescribed any other medication such as tricyclic antidepressants for your Temporo-Mandibuar Joint disorder.

2. Acid reflux, which may be present without heartburn and accompany anxiety, may also cause similar symptoms.

3. Since your neck glands are sore and tender, it is advisable to get your throat checked by a local ENT specialist, who may also be able to look down your throat with a 70 degree endoscope to rule out other visible causes for the foreign body sensation and tightness in your throat.

4. After ruling out a sore throat due to acute infection, your doctor may change the muscle relaxant (Flexeril) and provide anti-reflux medication. This will also lower your anxiety levels.

5. Have you had a 2D Echo to rule out a benign condition known as MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse)? It is one of the very common causes for panic attacks. Check for thyroid and blood sugar problems. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies should be corrected. Learn breathing and relaxation techniques.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Choked throat, swallowing pressure, dry mouth, sore neck glands, anxiety, heavy chest. Why are these things happening? 2 days later
Thank you, and also there is a swollen bump on my left side right on my jaw line on the bone and it is tender to touch . Should I be concernd about this? Is it a swollen muscal or vein or another gland?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 47 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If the tender bump on the left jawline is firm to touch, it is likely to be a lymph node or a swollen salivary gland.

2. If it does not subside, or increases in size, get a USG (Ultrasound) Neck done. An FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) may be done to get a tissue diagnosis. Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication may be administered by your doctor after seeing the reports.

3. If the swelling is bony hard, an X-ray will be required. Do you have an inflamed tooth on the same side?

I must emphasize that a few swellings less than a centimeter (1 cm) in size are not worrisome. There are normally around 300 lymph nodes in the head and neck region alone. They become palpable only when inflamed and they may not return to their original (impalpable) size after infection or inflammation. The source of this infection or inflammation may lie anywhere in the fixed areas that they drain.

Regards.