Chlamydia test positive, transmission

2 years ago, my wife tested positive for chlamydia, we both took the pill and messed up and only waited 4 days before having sex again. Last year, she got tested and was negative for it, but got tested today and was positive for it. We have both been faithful to eachother. Are there any other good explanations that will keep her from divorcing me?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

I presume that two years ago when your wife was treated for chlamydia, there is a possibility that the treatment was incomplete.

Last year when she tested, the vaginal swab would have been taken which tested negative for infection. There is a possibility that some infection remained in her anus and rectum which has caused a reinfection now. The same holds true in you also. Among males this infection may remain undetected without producing any symptoms for long durations.

"Repeated infections are more likely due to self infection rather than unfaithfulness".

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.