Ask a Dentist   »  

Chin is swollen and pinkish, does not hurt. Tongue felt swollen and so do glands. Underlying cause?

I just noticed my chin is swollen and is pinkish. It does not hurt. My tongue has felt swollen for a few days and so do my glands.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 27 minutes later

Swelling of chin could be due to many reasons like infected teeth in the lower jaw, fracture or trauma to the lower arch or due infection - draining there, into the sub mental gland. Tongue swelling on the other hand could be due to vitamin deficiency or allergic in nature. It would be better if you can give me addition information which will help me formulate my answer:

1. Please specify about the teeth present in your lower arch - whether any associated pain or bleeding present or not?
2. Are you wearing complete or partial dentures?if so since when?

Please reply to above questions,so thaI can suggest you better.

Let me know for further query.

Follow-up: Chin is swollen and pinkish, does not hurt. Tongue felt swollen and so do glands. Underlying cause? 41 minutes later
no dentures. lower teeth do not hurt.... no bleeding... on Friday I did have a post put into a tooth on the upper left side to prepare for a crown
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up,

It appears you have got a glandular inflammation. The glands are located deep in the chin area while the ducts are attached to tongue. Perhaps the tongue inflammation and swelling has drained into sub mental and sub lingual glands in the chin area leading to enlargement and inflammation.

Since your teeth are free from symptoms, dental abnormalities/infection are excluded. Further procedure in upper teeth rarely causes problem in chin.

It would be worthwhile to visit your dentist for careful clinical examination. He/she can examine your tongue and oral cavity to look for signs of infection. Maintaining proper oral hygiene would be important to prevent complications. If glandular swelling increases you may need a simple incision and drainage.

Please XXXXXXX your dentist and discuss regarding this issue.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.