Chills and fever, swelling on lymph nodes. Liver and spleen mildly enlarged. Took divon plus. Sweating normal?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

I am XXXXXXX 26yrs Male, I was suffering from chills & fever 15 days back. which went on for more than 7 days..! I was put on Antibiotics Ceftum 500 & Faronac..! which i continued for 15 days. I also had swelling in Lymphnodes, after last check up 5 days doc said lymph nodes are normal. during this course an Ultra sound scan of Abdomen & neck was taken, the report said Liver & spleen is mildly enlarged. Also CBC, LFT, Widal test, Malaria Rapid card test & HIV1 & HIV2 test has been taken, all were normal apart form LFT..! My SGOT & SGPT level was 10% above normal.
I also have next 1 month & come for check up again...! But I have not come across any weight loss.I am also a Social drinker & Smoker.

The actual problem now is I am having mild fever from last 3 days continuously but the temperature is not exceeding 100.6 degree F..! Also last night i took one Divon Plus tablet for fever after which i had excessive sweating...! I seriously dont understand what is happening...! Kindly help me...!
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Clinically I do not find anything serious with you that would make you worry.

Your reports are all normal and SGOT & SGPT 10% above normal clinically do not pose any Hepatic challenges. They can rise in any fever or after some medications; a follow-up test usually will report them normal

Palpable lymphnodes are not pathogenic always and are secondary to infections; so they too should regress with treatment

Mildly enlarged liver and spleen on an Ultrasound are relative findings and in themselves are hardly diagnostic unless clinically correlated.

You may continue Maltida Forte for around six weeks and get a repeat evaluation of B12 done, if normal discontinue - Again B12 deficiency is not associated with weight loss

Your actual problem of mild fever now could probably be due to viral infection. Clinically and from your history [As most of others are ruled out with your normal Lab reports], if there is no associated symptom and is self limiting it would pass off in 7-10 days

If the fever keeps bothering you, take plain paracetamol 500 mg when need be and can be repeated every eight hours, preferably after meals or with a glass of milk

Excessive sweating is a response of antipyretics [as Divon plus has diclofenac which is known in good number of patients to cause excessive sweating] when they bring down the temperature. So do not worry about the same. Try simple plain Paracetamol instead of Divon plus.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept this answer if you do not have any further follow ups.
In case you need any further clarification do revert back.

Get Well Soon!

Follow-up: Chills and fever, swelling on lymph nodes. Liver and spleen mildly enlarged. Took divon plus. Sweating normal? 1 hour later
Thanks a Lot Mr.Ajit Naniksingh, very kind of you.

Actually I forgot to mention that I also get body ache (Mainly joint's pain) along with fever, but the temperature doesn't exceed more than 100.8. After paracetamol I feel better.
I will be flying to Chennai this weekend for festivals, I am hoping this will not affect my trip. Do you suggest any Antibiotic course or just paracetamol.

Thanks & Regards
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

I was busy in a surgery, so the delay in reply.

Joint pains is very common and diagnostic of Viral fever

I would suggest you take Paracetamol 650mg every eight hours if you are above 50Kg of weight

No problem; you can travel. I do not feel you need antibiotics as there are no other signs of infection.

Take some antioxidant. That would speed up recovery in Viral fever

Hope this helps. Anything else revert back.

Get Well Soon and Happy Festive Season!