Child's urine is pink. Medication is not working. Please advise me.

Hi, I have query about my son who is 2.5 yrs of age. From the last two days he is suffering from a urine problem. I mean his urine color is pink. I had consulted with a doctor in my locality and he told me that its an infection and gave some medicines. But those medicines are not working and my son still pee pink urine. Please advice me. Thank You.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Pink color of urine can be caused by having foods with dyes. Think about what he has been eating lately. Does any of the food has red food coloring in it?
Other contributory factors that need to be considered are-
1. First of all irritation in the bladder needs to be ruled out. This could lead to some blood escaping into the urine which you may have noticed with the change in urine color. It can be caused by infection, decreased water intake, excessive acidic urine, etc. You are already giving antibiotics and urine alkaliser for this without any improvement.

2. Excessive stress of muscles can lead to a small amount of muscle breakdown. This can sometimes caused a change in color of the urine and particularly a pink or red color. This is sometimes referred to as rhabdomyolysis. I don't think this is what explains your son's symptoms.

3. Infection of urine, renal calculus are the other causes that need to be ruled out.
As far as recommendations for you I would recommend that you continue to be observant of the color and volume of your son's urine. As long as it continues to improve and looks normal in your opinion I think no treatment is needed. Ask him to have plenty of fluids. If otherwise you do feel a change in symptoms like pain or any more pink or redness of the urine I think you should see his pediatrician for a careful consultation and proper investigations.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.