Child's urine has bad smell, wetting bed. What to do? Had bladder infection

my 7 year old daughters pee smells very bad and is wetting the bed too i have taken her to the doc and she had a blater infection and its gone now but the sell and the peeing the bed is to much. and she is also peeing during the day not a lot just a bit what do i do
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The symptom of the urinary tract infection includes foul or strong urine odor and frequent or urgent need to urinate. This might be the reason for your symptom but as you have mentioned it is cleared, i will advice you to follow this to prevent the recurrence: Avoid giving your child bubble baths, Have your child wear loose-fitting underpants and clothing, Increase your child's intake of fluids(important), Keep your child's genital area clean to prevent bacteria from entering through the urethra, Teach your child to go the bathroom several times every day, Teach your child to wipe the genital area from front to back to reduce the chance of spreading bacteria from the anus to the urethra.

Bedwetting is involuntary urination in children over 5 to 6 years old. It may occur at any time of the day or night. Children develop complete control over their bladders at different ages.

I advice you to make sure that your child goes to the bathroom at normal times during the day and evening and does not hold urine for long periods of time. Be sure that the child goes to the bathroom before going to sleep. You can reduce the amount of fluid the child drinks a few hours before bedtime. Wake her from sleep at night, after 3 to 4 hours of sleep and make her to urinate. Bedwetting alarms are another method that can be used. The alarms are small and readily available without a prescription at many stores.

I advice you to follow this conservative approach, she should be fine.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.