Child's tongue color has changed to orange, gets frequent stomach and headache, throat inflammation, rash. What could be wrong?

Sep 2013

My son is 7 yrs old and in the last week his tongue color changed from yellow to orange. He generally is a difficult eater, he complains from stomachache every once in a while, headache, has memory difficulties, almost constant throat inflammation. Occasionally he gets a small rash on the inside of the elbows and back of knees (I have connected it with consumption of oranges or sun exposure, but it could be a coincidence). He is a sweet child, but gets irritated at once... I feel that something is really wrong with him, but the doctors seem to dismiss my concern... I fear some problems beyond 'childhood' like parasites, fungus, maybe heavy metal poisoning... Please help!
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the question here.

First of all you mentioned that the color of tongue has changed from yellow to orange.
Yellow coloration of tongue is due to mild indigestion and constipation, orange coloration is due to some irritation in stomach (hyper acidity, gastritis, overfeeding).

In your son case it may be due to some mild form gastritis (sore stomach).
Headache is also due to gastritis.

Difficult eater as you mentioned means anorexia (for this you can use an appetizer). At present you can't judge his memory difficulty, it seems normal, due to behavior of child.

Throat inflammation as you mentioned is the root cause of many problems in your child as,
Irritation, Gastritis (if medicines taken for throat infection) etc

Now we are coming rashes inside elbow and back of knee, as these two things are related to each other.
As you mentioned that there is CONSTANT THROAT INFLAMMATION in your child.

Throat inflammation usually causes allergy and also due to allergy there is throat infection.
When allergy is there, sure there would be mild degree rashes here and there, so these rashes at elbow & knee are due to throat infection.

Fungus (yeast is a normal thing in human) is uncommon, if present, than they produces their symptoms, which are not in your child.

Don't bother about parasites, have an O T C dewroming tablet, that's all.

You are a very caring mother of your child, which is the main cause of concern, rather over concern.
So please only consult for throat infection and allergy, otherwise all things are absolutely normal in your child.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

If further any question in your mind about your child, I will be happy to help.

Wish you a good luck for little one.
Dr. HET.