Child's temperature fluctuating, very tired and cold.

daughter (11 yrs) temperature fluctuating over the past few days between 35.5 and 36.5 , very tierd and cold
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 55 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long are you giving her Ibuprofen?
2.) Is she having Goosebumps or pallor?
3.) Is she having confusion or speech problem?

She is having mild Hypothermia, the normal body temperature should be 98.6 degrees and Hypothermia is considered to be Mild if it is between 32 to 35 degrees. She is having ‘Close to Mild Hypothermia’ which is not serious and it could be the effect of repeated doses of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol which are Antipyretic drugs which lower the body temperature.

Also children tend to lose the body heat easily than adults. Kindly get her examined by a Pediatrician so that he/she may examine her in detail and test her rectal temperature and rule out the exact cause. Once the cause is found out, she will be treated accordingly.

Follow these lifestyle modifications at home:

1.) Keep the home temperature warmer.
2.) Cover her with blankets.
3.) Lie down close to her and share your body heat with her and then cover both of your bodies with blankets.
4.) Provide her with warm beverages.
5.) Apply warm compresses over her body.
6.) Keep checking her temperature regularly, make a note of it and take her for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Good Luck.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Child's temperature fluctuating, very tired and cold. 4 hours later
Thank you,

In response to you questions

1) She has Ibuprofen once/twice a week as part of the pain management of her EDS
2.) She does not have Goosebumps but is very pale, when the temperature drops she shivers uncontrollably when t come back towards 36.5 fine she gets some colour back.
3.) She has no confusion or speech problem, just very tired.

What is confusing me is the fluctuating. It drops, she gets really cold etc, then about an hour later it rises again and then a couple of hours later will drop again. The highest its reached over the last 3 days is 36.7. Other than that she is okay. When her temp is 36+ she seems fine, when she turns really pale and her energy disappears, her temperature has dropped.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 15 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Body temperature fluctuations occurs in children due to

1.) Dehydration
2.) Poor Nutrition

I would suggest that she be examined by her paediatrician who can evaluate her and prescribe appropriate therapy.

Additionally, I would suggest that you keep her warm as I explained earlier and get her examined as soon as possible.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.