Child's legs are bowed, prescribed Ossopan. Will he outgrow this?

Hi, My son is 15 month old and started walking at the age of 13 months.He is walking normally but his legs are bent slightly not like bowed legs but slightly. His foot is normal. When we checked with out pediatrician she said to do development assessment the physio who checks the baby does the right thing in right age. She checked and said there is not much gap between his knees, but only his tibial bone is bowed slightly which may due to Vitamin D deficiency and asked us to give Just XXXXXXX and Ossopan (Oral Suspensions) drops for 3 months and come later for assessment. During these 3 months, bowing has straightened out to an extent but not completely. Whoever see my boy they say his legs are bowed. Will he outgrow this in the coming months. If not what needs to be done for this? I am very much worried about it. There is no history of bowed legs in our family. He used to W-sit during initial months i.e when he started out crawling but once we came to know thats it is a bad way of sitting we change him immediately.
Other than this he is a very active baby. He walks...runs all the time and does not drip often.
Please let me know.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 5 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your son.

Fortunately there is treatment for this condition. This is most likely rickets which is caused due to deficiency of Vit D. Vitamin D is required for calcification of bones. An infant need about 400 i.u. vitamin D, also needs calcium as well. This will be available in milk.

Sunshine which has got ultraviolet light also helps as well. As you mentioned his condition has improved

I am sure his condition will improve but it takes time. He needs the blood tests for calcium and I am sure the paediatrician will look after that.

I wish your child gets better soon. Do write back if you have more queries.

Kindest regards Dr. S.K.Mukherjee
Follow-up: Child's legs are bowed, prescribed Ossopan. Will he outgrow this? 52 minutes later
Thanks doctor. Currently he is taking 1 ml of Just XXXXXXX and 5 ml of Ossopan.I am positive about his condition but I would like to know what would be the treatment if it does not improve.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later

I think XXXXXXX probably has Viamin D. The child should have 400I.U. Vitamin D daily. Ossopan is calcium supplement. He is on right treatment. If you get the child to have sunbathing, that will help quite a lot.

Kindest regards