Child's finger is black and blue in the middle and also swollen. Didn't complain of hurting. Cause?

Pediatrician
Question
My almost 4 year old son's pinky finger is black and blue in the middle of it. It is also swollen. He is a pretty sensitive kid and always tells me when he gets hurt. He never mentioned anything about hurting his pinky. Should I be worried about this?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 27 minutes later

I can fee your concerns.

The most likely thing is trauma to the finger as only one finger is involved in the middle part.

If there is any other finger involved or if there is any past history of such bluish discoloration is present then I would consider some other possibilities .

However for now , my recommendations are to give analgesics and take septic measures for this swelling.

Be vigilant observant , hope this will be improved in 5 to 6 days.

Do not worry at all.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any other query, I would be honored to reply.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Child's finger is black and blue in the middle and also swollen. Didn't complain of hurting. Cause? 17 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response. I have noticed this same pinky finger looking swollen and bruised in the same location in the past few months. I have only noticed it one time, but again, it presented without any obvious injury. Does this change your feelings about what may be going on?

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 11 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up.

I would like to know that

for how long this problem remain?

Is it associated with pain or movement problem?

If you upload the picture of affected area then it would be easier to reach conclusion.

Waiting for your response.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Child's finger is black and blue in the middle and also swollen. Didn't complain of hurting. Cause? 10 minutes later
I have uploaded a photo. I tried to upload two photo, but I think only one worked. My son only has very slight discomfort when he moves or squeezed the effected area.

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later
Thanks for uploading picture.

I was able to view the picture and I still recommend X-ray of the finger to rule out fracture or some foreign body. He should be given analgesics and cold sponging for quick relief.

It would be worthwhile to see your local doctor for evaluation.

Wishing him a speedy recovery