Child's feet are peeling, has pins and needles. Now has gastro virus, vomiting. Are they related?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello, my 4 year old daughter's feet are peeling. she has also been saying the last few days that she has pins and needles in her feet. Also, 2 days ago she had a gastro virus - diarreoa, vomiting and fever, and today she says she has a sore mouth. Not sure if all the symptoms are related and what are they?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

The symptoms of your daughter are mostly related and could be due to a viral infection by coxsackie or enterovirus.
The symptoms most likely resemble the viral illness termed as Hand foot mouth disease which is a very common illness in this age group.

Early symptoms are likely to be fever, often followed by a sore throat or diarrhoea. Loss of appetite and general malaise may also occur. Between one and two days after the onset of fever, painful sores may appear in the mouth and throat. A rash may become evident on the hands, feet, mouth, tongue, inside of the cheeks, and occasionally the buttocks .

There is no specific treatment for hand, foot and mouth disease. Individual symptoms, such as fever and pain from the sores, may be eased with the use of Analgesics like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen as prescribed by the treating doctor. It has to run its course and will heal without any long term effects in future.

Since your daughter's symptoms are still evolving and there are no visible blisters, nothing can be conclusively said about the diagnosis. It is advisable to consult her pediatrician for a thorough clinical examination of your daughter for confirmation of diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Meanwhile she should be well hydrated and should avoid scratching of affected areas.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.