Child's eyes are continuously yellow from birth, had jaundice after birth, high indirect bilirubin levels

Question
my child is three years old and here eyes are continious yellow from birth. She was also having jaundice after birth and here reports show high indirect bilirubin levels
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
I would suggest you to attach a copy of reports. You can upload the reports using the 'Upload your reports' section on the right. I would like to know when the tests were done?
Considering only raised indirect bilirubin, few possibilities exists in case of your daughter.
1] Hepatitis.
2] Sickle cell anemia.
3] Biliary obstruction.
4) Certain haemolytic anaemias

I would suggest you to consult a pediatrician and get few investigations done to rule out above possibilities.
Investigations would be abdominal ultrasound, liver enzyme levels, sickle cell test and hemoglobin levels. We would also need a peripheral smear and a bone marrow biopsy possibly.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Child's eyes are continuously yellow from birth, had jaundice after birth, high indirect bilirubin levels 48 hours later
Mam

I have uploaded all the reports from her birth to today.

please have a look and reply back asap

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through the reports attached here. The reports are dated since 2009 and this is a long time back. The reports are indicative of "newborn jaundice". And in one of reports mentioned, liver enzyme was too high nearing 600.

As your daughter's eyes are still yellow colored (icteric), we need to rule out underlying pathological conditions mentioned in our prior discussion. I would suggest you now to get peripheral smear and liver enzymes done now. You also need to get sickle cell tests and abdominal ultrasound done as well.

Bone marrow aspiration need not be done immediately.

I understand your concern. As your daughters symptoms have been since birth, she needs a thorough evaluation starting initially with aforementioned tests. A competent pediatrician can you guide get the tests done. We can plan a proper management once the root cause is found.

I hope this helps. In case of further doubt; feel free to revert back.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam

Follow-up: Child's eyes are continuously yellow from birth, had jaundice after birth, high indirect bilirubin levels 35 minutes later
Dear Mam

I have uploaded the latest LFT and Hametology and Blood Smear Test report

Also i wanted to tell you that here mother blood group is O+ve and mine is B+ve while my child is B+ve. Is this anything to do with ABO incompatibility?.

Plz have a look and revert back.

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through the reports attached. Latest report as done in March 2010 also shows high bilirubin levels.

'ABO' incompatibility can occur in your daughter when IgG antibodies against B positive blood enter her blood circulation through her mother. This requires prior sensitization of mother which is possible if your wife had an earlier pregnancy with B positive child or if she had been faulty transfusion with B positive blood group; besides this condition is usually confirmed within first 24 hours after birth.

As your daughter's continues to have symptoms, we need to check the latest liver functions and red blood status to rule out the aforementioned possibilities. Hence I encourage you to visit your pediatrician and discuss about it and get the tests done as early as possible.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer them.

Best regards,
Dr.Neelam.

Follow-up: Child's eyes are continuously yellow from birth, had jaundice after birth, high indirect bilirubin levels 3 hours later
Dear Mam

I have uploaded the latest LFT and Hametology and Blood Smear Test report CONDUCTED 2 3 DAYS BACK AS SCAN26 AND SCAN 26_1 AND other bilirubin tests reports conducted after march 2010.

One thing i forgotted to tell you that here mother had suffered from liver ulcer way back in 1999 to 2001 which was then treated.

Plz have a look and revert back.

Thanking You

Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for reports.
After going through reports, I have realized that her red blood cells are normal, no sickling as per her peripheral blood smear report. So there is no need to repeat peripheral smear test and sickle test. Sickle cell anemia is out of the question now.

But her liver enzymes are still high. We are probably looking at a problem with her liver. This could be simply an infection or probably biliary obstruction or just inflammation of hepatic drainage system.
Get CT scan of the abdomen done. We will come to know the cause for it.

As you have mentioned about her mother's past history, there is no relation between two. So get test done and attach report so we can conclude probable diagnosis.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.