Childbirth, unprotected sex, pink discharge, losetrin 24, pregnant ?

28yrs old.
Gave birth 2/17
Started losetrin 24 April 3rd
Had unprotected sex last night april 14....and woke up this morning with pinkish discharge....can I get pregnant???? I thought you just had to take the pill for 7 days and you would be protected? Or does the unprotected sex and pink spotting have nothing to do with each other?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later

Thanks for your Query.

In this scenario I don't think there are any chances of pregnancy because of the 2 factors :
1.Lactation amenorrhea.
2.Losetrin 24.

The above factors are effective in birth control provided baby is breast fed regularly as the intial cycles in such case are anovulatory(eggs are not released during periods),and there is no chance of fertilization and pregnancy. Usually Losetrin 24 is not prescribed in recent delivery.It is prescribed only after 4 weeks of delivery, a 6 weeks of delay in case of Breastfeeding followed. Taking the pills for 7 days is not completely protective, but in your case as you are still in lactational amenorrhea there is no risk of pregnancy. Pills will act like additive protection.

The pinkish discharge is more likely the side effect of the drug Losetrin 24, as it is known to cause vaginal discharge or it maybe oozing from vaginal mucosa following intercourse.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Childbirth, unprotected sex, pink discharge, losetrin 24, pregnant ? 3 hours later
I'm actually not breastfeeding
Started the pill on april 3...april 14 (11 days on pill)
What are the chances I could get pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 37 minutes later
Hi Again,

Thanks for your follow up query.

Since its still <4 weeks post delivery the chances of pregnancy is remote,since the menstrual cycle hasn't return to normal till a minimum of 4 weeks post delivery.Even the eggs(Ovum) is not available for fertilization and pregnancy.

Breastfeeding increases the natural protection against conceiving during early postpartum.Breast feeding prolongs the period from reappearing.