Child with wheezing cough and fever. Using flucort inhaler. Is it safe to give Ibugesic?

my son is suffering from wheezing cough . given flucort inhaler 4 times aday. He has now developed fever 103 and not responding to crocin . is it safe to give ibugesic during wheezing
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

From the history I understand that your 3 year old son is suffering from wheezing cough & fever.

I would like to comment the following:

1. He seems to be suffering from antibiotic under prescription from physician may be given.

3. For fever not responding to crocin, you should start cold tepid sponging. Sponge the whole body with cotton cloth and water at normal temperature. That will help bring down the body temperature.

4. Keep your son comfortable and offer plenty of fluids.

5. Remove extra blankets and clothing so heat can leave the body and help lower the body temperature, but don’t take off all the clothes because he may become too cold and start shivering, which produces more body heat, causing the temperature to rise again.

6. Paracetamol (crocin)is the best medication for a fever. The temperature usually comes down in 1.5 to 2 hours and then rises again, in which case the medication may have to be repeated. It is important not to exceed 5 doses in 24 hours.

7. Ibugesic needs to be given with caution in wheezing children since it has a potential to cause asthma like symptoms. So I would recommend not starting ibugesic at present without the prescription of your physician.

8. Regarding the inhaler since the child is wheezing an inhaled bronchodilator can be added to the flucort inhaler in consultation with your physician.

Hope I answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if there are no further questions.

Wish you son a speedy recovery.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra