Child with weepy eye, no health issue. What could be the reason?

Feb 2013

My ten month old has always had a weepy right eye, which I attributed to a blocked duct. It is not gooey or goopy, just clear like tears. However, since he was old enough, he has constantly tugged on his right ear. He has good check-ups, no redness, no infection. Could the two be related and should I be worried about either?
I forgot to mention that he is very happy and healthy otherwise. Sleeps through the night for about 11 hours straight through and has since about 4 months. Takes good morning nap but not a good afternoon nap. Ear does not appear to hurt.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This two are not related. Nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Clear watering from right eye is due to blocked duct which usually carries tears from eye to nasal cavity.

Because of blocked duct tears are not carried into nose leading to watering from that particular eye.

This problem is a benign condition and it can be managed by doing gentle and firm massage from medial side of eye to nostril which will open the duct.

You can consult the pediatrician to know the instructions for doing the massage along right side of nose.

Constant tugging of right ear may be due to itching inside the ear canal. As there is no redness, hurting, or signs of infection on check-up, nothing to worry and these two issues are unrelated.

Therefore I suggest you to do gentle massage from medial angle of right eye to nose as demonstrated by the pediatrician to open the blocked lacrimal duct and be in follow up with him.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.