Child with stomach virus, vomiting, diarrhoea, bad ear inception. Gave cefdinir. Suggest?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
A week ago my 2.5 year old daughter came down with the stomach virus. I am pretty sure it is viral as my son caught it too. My daughter had a fever, vomiting and now has turned into diarrhea. The vomiting has pretty much stopped, yet she has very watery diarrhea and anything she seems to drinks goes right through her. She just started eating again today and and seems to be playing more yet gets tired after a bit. I took her to her pediatrician a few days ago and she also had a bad ear inception which they gave her cefdinir (omnicef) for. Maybe this is all too much for her stomach? She seems to be uncomfortable upon awakening the most. Is this when ear pain is the worst?

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 13 days later
Welcome to HCM!
It is usual for children to feel tired after viral gastroenteritis. This is partly due to the minor electrolyte disturbances which they get from watery stools.
Hope you gave her enough pedialyte or other oral electrolytes at that time.
The treatment for viral gastroenteritis is only fluid and electrolytes replacement .No antibiotics.
She will recover in a week's time. Do not worry.

Reg your other question,the antibiotic for ear infection is OK for your kid.
Ear infections have to be treated properly as the complications are high.
Give her bland easily digestible diet for a
week and see whether the discomfort becomes less.
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma