Child with sore stomach. Vomiting, coughing, low grade fever. Took nurofen. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2013

Our son is 3 and a half years old. Earlier today he was complaining of a sore stomach. Later in the afternoon he vomited and seemed unlike himself. He started to perk up but after a warm bath we put him to bed as he was very tired. He has recently woken coughing and with a temperature of 38.5 and very irratable slightly delirious. His skin was red mostly on his arms, legs and face.
We've given him Nurofen for children and a cool wet cloth to reduce the temperature. He's asleep again but coughing a strange Chester cough almost gasp for air.

Wanted to know if we should be concerned or see how he goes?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your son seems having a viral illness with respiratory infection.

For fever, you can give Nurofen for children in prescribed dose.

If there is high grade fever, do tepid sponging with lukewarm water instead of cool wet cloth.

Sponging with cool water will lead to shivering thus elevates the body temperature by rebound phenomenon.

Maintain his hydration by giving plenty of oral fluids and monitor his activity, respirations, and temperature.

The concerning symptoms for me is his strange chesty cough with gasping for the air, irritability, and delirium.

I advise you to consult emergency / his doctor as early as possible for physical examination to look for any focus of infection and its specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.