Child with small bulge like swelling near belly button. What can be done to cure it?

Hi Doctor,
My newborn girl is 6 weeks old & she is healthy with normal growth. Suddenly today my wife observed a small bulge or lump like swelling near baby's belly button. Also the baby has been cranky today & has cried whenever we put her down on bed. Is this swelling anything serious and what can be done to cure it.
Many thanks
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Its preoccupying in the child s general outlook is changing, especially if she is crying , ill looking and all these in a context of this swelling.

Its appropriate to get her examined by her physician to ascertain the actual nature of the mass you describe. It would be important to check if this this mass on its own is tender or looks inflamed. A general examination of the baby's abdomen could give an orientation. It s good the baby s temperature is normal, but monitoring it could be very useful.

I strongly suggest you get her consulted by her family physician or pediatrician, considering her age to avoid any complications if any. Depending on the results of the clinical examination, your doctor shall decide on whether to prescribe further tests or not.

Feel free asking further questions if need be. Wishing you the best of health.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.