Child with skin problem, light and dark skin. How can skin care be done?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I HAVE 8YR old daughter & she has problem vitamin her skin is not white when she was born her skin is so far but before sometimes i fill her skin not like white its like black so how can I care her skin & give her vitamin
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
It is a common problem with school going children.
During infancy, the skin of the baby is very sensitive and not exposed to excessive sunlight, harsh chemical products and pollution. Thus, it retains its original colour and texture.
As they grow up their skin is exposed to lot of stress like harmful sun radiations, chemical soaps, creams, talc, dust pollution, etc. This affects the skin colour, texture, sometimes may cause dryness, hyperpigmentation (darkening), freckles, etc
Now, to fight against these toxins, their skin needs good nourishment (a balance of all vitamins and micronutrients) which again is many times not adequate in school going children.
Also, it needs to be protected from the sun which becomes very difficult in active children.
So do not worry, these problems are likely to subside if appropriate care is taken and as the child grows.
You may try the following for some relief.
1. Give her plenty of water and homemade fluids as water flushes out the toxins from the body and maintains hydration of the skin.
2. Make sure your child has a healthy balanced diet. She needs atleast 3 full meals including fresh vegetables and fruits. Avoid high salt & oily fried foods from outside.
3. Always use only mild glycerine based soaps and moisturisers for her skin. If she plays in the sun, use a broad spectrum sunscreen. Also, its best to avoid the sun between 10am to 4 pm.
If necessary then use protective clothing and caps , umbrellas.etc.
4. Maintain adequate skin hygiene like washing her face and hands etc after playing outdoors.
If the problem persists even after a couple of months of following these measures, then you need to consult her paediatrician or a dermatologist to rule out any other cause like allergic eczema, infection, hormonal imbalances , malnutrition etc.
A consultation with her paediatrician and a few blood tests like a complete blood count, serum calcium and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) may help her doctor diagnose any specific deficiencies like iron, calcium or vitamin B deficiency. Further management can be done accordingly. This may also help in diagnosing an underlying allergy causing skin eczema or worm infection. If diagnosed, they might need specific treatment.
For vitamin deficiency, she can take a multivitamin supplement like zincovit, A to Z or kidicare etc. This needs to be given once a day for 1 to 3 months.
Gradually you will notice an improvement in the colour and texture of her skin and her overall health too.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.