Child with seizure, severe headache, dullness, laziness. Tell me the cure?

Nov 2013

Hi, doctors my son is 11 years old with 50kg weight ,he got sezire in 9-12 months once before 1 year now he is taking XXXXXXX retard 200 thrice a day . he is now not getting sezire but we are worried about the weight , dullness instudies,frequantly headache, laziness & how long he have to take medicine.

Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My replies are below

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the details of your son's illness.

Epilepsy is a common illness, and is well treatable with medications. Usually, about 3 years of medicines (if there are no seizures) are required. The child should have at least three seizure-free years.

In some cases, medications may be required for longer duration. Longer duration medicines may be required if seizures are not controlled, if there is a family history of epilepsy, or if the MRI brain and EEG are abnormal.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My blog:

Follow-up: Child with seizure, severe headache, dullness, laziness. Tell me the cure? 43 minutes later
my qurey is about his frequently headache & some times he is feeling chakkar.
plz reply for this & also tell me about his over weight ,laziness
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Some of his symptoms could be related to the medication- XXXXXXX retard (carbamazepine). Especially, his chakkar, laziness, sleepiness, weight gain, etc could be related to the medication.

I suggest you to keep him active, encourage him to play outdoor games, etc. This would improve his condition. If he still has symptoms, the medications may have to be changed.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)