Child with salmonella and lactose intolerance. Took vaccination. Having diarrhea. What should be done?

Hi, (from Australia), I was reluctant to vaccinate our young boy initially but after a bad case of salmonella and then lactose intolerance last year he is having all his needles, albeit slightly delayed. On Feb 6th, at 15 months, he was vaccinated for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Meningococcal C and Influenza B . . He has had a medium level reaction beginning about 5 days after the needles, including temperature, going off food and formula, irritability etc and developed a measles type rash for a few days on Friday and through this weekend.
As his appetite has picked up though mild diarrhoea has increased, to about 7 nappies worth today.
He was breastfed until 13 months, I was four months pregnant again by then and my supply dwindled. Once he was put on formula (lactose free on doctor's advice) stools changed to more watery, usually greyish or sometimes greenish coloured.
The diarrhoea is greyish sometimes yellowish and is fast but not explosive as such - I didnt know he had done a couple of them today for a little while.
HIs history includes bad silent reflux leading to GORD, until eating more solids at about 7-8 months and unexplained bowel pain particularly at night, which later improved when I undertook a dairy free diet,\ although tests for dairy and other allergies came up negative.
Is there anything I can use to help minimise these bowel symptoms now....?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 36 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I can understand your problem.Your child is really going through a stormy period.
This episode is probably due to a reaction against the measles component of the vaccine.
So he suffered from a measles type of rash and diarrhoea.
Please give him a (prebiotic probiotic +racecadotril) XXXXXXX 2 times daily for 7 days.
Add a zinc syrup and Vit A too.
Give him some yogurt in the diet and plenty of rehydrating fluids.
Please consult your doctor for checking your child for Celiac disease if the abdominal problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.