Child with reddish bruised patch in the mouth. Had stuffy nose and sore throat. Exposed to mononucleosis. Could it be the reason?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daughter has had a runny, stuffy nose, no fever. She had a sore throat for a couple of days but that is gone. We noticed that she has a small red, bruise looking patch in her mouth towards the back. Our family was exposed to mono over Christmas. We were thinking this may be what she has but her symptoms are not very bad. She's eating, drinking and running around playing. Now I'm worried the patch could be something else. Any thougths?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 42 minutes later
Hello ,
Infectious Mononucleosis, often referred as "mono," is a very common viral illness. . When mono strikes young children, the illness is usually so mild that it passes as a common cold or the flu. When it occurs during adolescence or adulthood, however, the disease can be much more serious. It begins with flu-like symptoms ,fever headache, myalgia, sorethroat and then followed by exanthem i.e rash and enanthem i.e oral mucosal lesions either tiny red spots or bruise like lesions on the palate.
Like all viral infections it will resolve on its own and with supportive treatment, once the body develops immunity to fight it.
I would say there is no need for you to worry about your daughters lesion being something else as the symptoms and history classically indicate the diagnosis to be infectious mononucleosis.
However you should consult her pediatrician if the lesions increase or worsen and affect her food intake and activity.
Hope I have answered your query.