Child with recurring diarrhea, bloody stools, fever. Diagnosed as gastric flu. Treatment?

Hi, I have a 5 year old child who has recurring diarrhea with watery, bloody stools.

His condition started with high fever (41 degC/106 degF) since 3 days back. It was diagnosed as viral gastric flu by our regular pediatrician & the clinic will not be open for another 2 days. His fever has somewhat subsided but his last 10-15 trips to the toilet was always accompanied by bloody stools (thin/watery blood).

His stomach cramps were the most severe 24 hours ago - that was the time when his initial few sessions of diarrhea were most pent-up/gassy and started showing traces of blood. His anus however has no sign of fissure and he does not feel any string when washing up which leads me to conclude that the bleeding is not superficial.

He still complains his lower abdomen is sore and his stomach cramps come intermittently. His physiological condition has improved since the previous day - regaining energy levels, longer intervals between toilet sessions, and eating small meals gradually.

Q: Should I be concerned about the bloody stool that still accompanies every bout of diarrhea?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 17 hours later

Yes, you should be concerned, as the presence of blood mingled with stool and appearing with pain indicates that the child is not having diarrhoea but dysentery, usually caused by bacteria that need to be tackled quickly with anti-bacterial treatment. Please do visit the Emergency services at your hospital for a rapid consultation as soon as possible.

If, on the other hand, he is continuing to show improvement in his general condition, you may want to wait for a day or so before contacting his pediatrician. However, in any case, you need to be on top of the case and rush to the pediatrician or the EMS if the child starts having high fever or the blood continues in the stool or there is deterioration in his general condition.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

With regards.