Child with overheating issues. Complains of headache, vomiting and stomach pain. Blood test normal

Feb 2013

My son (9yrs old) has had this "overheating" issue since he was 4. It is gradually getting worse to the point now he can not play outside with his friends with out getting overheated. His dad has taken him fishing and he gets overheated. When he gets overheated, he complains that he is hot and then it goes into a headache/migrane and then vomiting sometimes. He aslo complains of sharp intermitent stomach pains sometimes too. His dr ordered TSH, Glucose, CBC and all his bloodwork came back normal. I do what I can to keep him cool and push the fluids, water and gatorade. I am at a loss as to what to do, please help XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 23 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Overheating usually occurs in normal, healthy children when they get expose to the sun or heat excessively like continuously or intermittently for frequent shorter periods.

Heat intolerance is seen in hormonal problems like hyperthyroidism, but your child TSH was normal so this may be not a cause.

Some genetic problems like abnormalities ectoderm of skin structures like hair, teeth,nails, and sweat glands will present with overheating when the child expose to heat in comparison to normal children.

This is known as ectodermal dysplasia and it contains many variants.

Skin appendages like hair, nails, and sweat glands will help to regulate the body temperature by disposing excessive heat by causing sweating by sweat glands, and absorbing more heat and protecting the rest of the body by the hair.

So the absence or decreased quantity of these skin structures will lead to overheating in heat environments and will lead to heat stroke and hyperpyrexia.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician for the review of his complete history and physical examination and to rule out any medical condition related to the skin.

And prevent the child from exposing to heat, sun, and give plenty of oral fluids and water.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.