Child with lumps at the base of the skull, behind the ear and on the neck. Need to go for tests?

My four year old son has three lumps at tge base of his skull on the left side and two behind his ear and one in his side of the neck..what could that be from? Should we get some tests done? Also I had him with me at my general doctir who is also a dermatologist and said its just the way his head is which I don't believe..they were never thrre. B
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Thanks for consulting us,
There can be a long list of problems which may present this way. Just want to know; Is he having any other symptoms?
These lumps may represent enlarged lymph nodes, swelling from some insect bite, localized lesions due to some skin infection or may even indicate some serious underlying pathology.
I believe, if you as a parent, sure about there recent origin you must take it seriously. In my opinion you should take him to a Pediatric Surgeon, who, after a clinical examination may like to take a small needle biopsy to get the final diagnosis ( after a lab test of the specimen ).
This of course will help you get a specific treatment for him if required.
I have seen your son's photograph. Although he looks healthy but it is better to be sure about these lumps.
You may write back if you want to discuss this further. I will be there to respond.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: Child with lumps at the base of the skull, behind the ear and on the neck. Need to go for tests? 4 minutes later
Thank u for the quick response..I will take himthis week to the other noticeable symtoms.I will keep you posted..God bless you.
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 5 minutes later
You are welcome here with all your questions & many thanks for your good wishes.
This is good to know that he is otherwise fine. This may also indicate a local problem only.
I will be glad to know about your child,s follow up health status.
Best Regards.