Child with lump behind ear, sore and cracked lips. Took antibiotic. What is the disease?

My two and a half year old has a lump beside his ear it was quite big which got two doctors looking at it this was 23rd no other symptoms apart from temp! Doctor wanted to see him thursday 27th lump still said see him again this thursday coming oh he had antibiotics 23rd for 5 days. But since Friday his eyes went blood shoot really bad and very pale I rang the duty doctor she told me it was conjutavitis but there was no puss..the eyes are still blood shoot but not as bad he still looks pale now his lips are so sore and cracked and red still pale and eating is still up and down since 24th. Waking up most nights, don't know why. He looks poorly very moody but still doing things he normally does just a moody than normal. Going to doctor Thursday. I just don't know. Oh and most nights he's very thirsty and drinking more than normal and in the day too. Lump still there.
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 53 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Lump in the neck is usually an inflammed lymph node. Doctors gave him antibiotic as they must be suspecting an infection which has caused the draining lymph node to be enlarged. A few queries:
1. Did they do a blood examination and a culture too?
2. What were the reports like?
3. Is your son also running fever?
If you can provide answers to these questions then I shall be in a better position to guide you further.

I would suggest that you get your son re-examined so that the exact illness is diagnosed and treatment started.

I hope I have tried to clear your doubts. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Child with lump behind ear, sore and cracked lips. Took antibiotic. What is the disease? 5 minutes later
Every now and again a fever not all the time. Antibiotic were to be on safe side over Christmas. He said bloods if lump don't go down so maybe Thursday. What about the blood shoot eyes and red and sore lips and paleness it's been nearly two weeks now. The lump is still there only on one side
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 9 minutes later

Thanks for the update.

One can have sore lips and paleness in an infection but the blood shot eyes need to be examined. The description seems to be suggesting sinus infection which can explain both the lump and the blood shot eyes.

I recommend that you go for a re-examination by the doctor and get the necessary investigations done so that a definite diagnosis can be established.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.