Child with loss of appetite, fever, cold. Given Augmentin-Duo. Any thing to do?

Feb 2013

My son who is 2 years old, is gradually reducing intake of food from last 3 to 4 months.
We are facing very difficulty feeding him. Last 2 days, didn't had any food. We didn't observed weakness. My wife is still breast feeding him, ofcourse, for a very shorter duration nowadays. As of now, he has a bit cough and cold.
In last 2 to 3 months, couple of times he fell ill (fever, cough and cold) and we have given him Augmentin-Duo.

Please do the needful.

Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Feeding around the age of 2 years old child is a big task for parents.

But there are two things even parents also should understand :

1. After the age of 1 year, the growth rate of children will decrease and in parallel
to the decreased growth rate, the appetite also decreases.

It is a normal developmental phenomenon.

But for parents it is a big difference, as child with a good appetite in the past will becomes a fussy eater.

2. Development of autonomy and play.

Children around this age they try to be independant because of the development of autonomy.

If parents try to feed, the children will refuse.

So these two issues to be kept in mind while feeding a child around this age group.

Children oral intake of food is guided by their hunger and not by regular time as seen with the adults.

On a day basis, they may eat less but if you take over a week the intake may be sufficient for their growth and activity.

As the child is active and there is no any weakness, nothing to worry.

As your child is 2 years old, you can gradually wean off from breastfeeding.

For cold and cough give prescribed medication.

I advise the following measures to increase his oral intake :

1. Two spoon method : Give one spoon to the child and another to mother so he
tres to feed himself.

2. Finger foods : Allow him to take food from his plate, as they develop eye and
hand coordination children will feed themselves with minimum
spillage of food.

3. High chair with a flank infront : this method is helpful for the child to eat.

4. Sitting along with the family members : child tries to eat by imitating the

Hope these suggestions will help you to increase his oral intake.

And you can give a multivitamin supplement like Polybion-L in a dose of 2.5 ml twice daily for one months as it contains lysine which improves his appetite to some extent.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.