Child with itchy, rash behind ears, forehead. Pain in lymph node on the back of neck. Need to be concerned?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 7 year old son has developed an itchy, bright red rash behind both ears and into his hairline at the back of his head. There is also some at the hairline at the forehead. He has been complaining of pain in an enlarged lymph node on the back of his neck. (Has been there a long time but has not been painful until now.) Do I need to be concerned?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 19 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The rash may be what we call seborrhoreic dermatitis.
The enlarged lymph node is a result of the rash.
The occipital group of lymph nodes enlarge when there is scalp infection.
You have to show him to a doctor preferably a dermatologist for evaluation and treatment.
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child with itchy, rash behind ears, forehead. Pain in lymph node on the back of neck. Need to be concerned? 12 hours later
Thank you for your help!

My son woke up this morning and the rash is spreading - now it's on his face and neck. It is around both eyes, upper and lower lids. I plan to take him to his regular doctor tomorrow unless there is some reason you think he should be seen before that. It's Sunday today so I don't want to disturb anyone for a non-emergency situation. Do you think I should keep him away from others in case it's contagious?

Thank you again- XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
If it is spreading to other ares like neck,face etc,it may not be seborrhoeic.
It may be some skin allergy .
You can give him some antihistamine syrup like benadryl and take him to the doctor.
If it is not associated with fever,it is unlikely to be contagious.
Good luck
Dr Uma