Child with high temperature and loss of appetite started shivering. What is the disease?

My son has had high temperature on and off today, I've given him Children's Advil every four hours, the fever would reduce and get back to 102 or 101.
Just now he was shaking but he got up and went to the restroom, he's drinking alot but not eating, what do you think this might be? His nose is running and eyes watery as well
Yesterday was his birthday and we rented the bouncing house and he was out there bouncing with other kids without a hat and coat for it was not cold, but windy. He does not have any health issues and i would like to know what I can do now that's it night.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 12 minutes later
Hi ,

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern. Your child seems to be suffering with a viral fever.

Viral fevers generally do not respond well to antipyretics on the first day. It is associated with loss of appetite, body aches, running nose and watery eyes. He may have these associated symptoms too. He might have picked up the infection during the birthday event.

Do not fear. Give him paracetamol every 4hrs if he has fever. Sponging the forehead, armpit and upper body with XXXXXXX warm water will also help him.

In addition provide him plenty of rest and give him lots of fluids.

Your child should recover in 3-4 days. If he has very high fever and develops other symptoms kindly consult a child specialist nearby.

Hope this answers your query.I f you have any further queries you are free to consult me.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery...