Child with heavy vomiting, diarrhoea, no energy, headache, low grade fever, indigestion. Is it viral infection?

My question is simply about my being contagious. My 1 yr old gdtr had short-term virus 2 days ago, heavy vomiting, some diarrhea, no energy, etc. In last 24 hrs it passed to my 2 yr old & 4 yr old gkids, then to my wife & our daughter who all had the same symptoms. Son in law also but he had more diarrhea & little vomiting. So I've been seeing to everyone all day but have felt horrible: body aches, chills, headache, maybe a low grade fever, which is all I ever run, and some "indigestion" but no diarrhea or vomiting. But I never vomit, haven't in over 15 years. What are the chances I have the virus? If it makes them have diarrhea & nausea would it absolutely make me also? The reason I ask is I need to know whether to go to work or not tomorrow, I'm a pastor. The way I feel now I would probably push to go and deliver my 2 sermons and come home quickly after. But if I have a virus I don't need to be there spreading it to others. And does my family need to stay home tomorrow, too? Thank you!
I should also say that I don't really have an appetite. I watch my weight but I don't miss many meals. I had a small bowl of fried rice for lunch and haven't really wanted anything since.XXXX
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

By your brief family history, and assuming no bacterial infection has been diagnosed by your clinician - a viral infection is very well justified on the basis of the symptoms you just enumerated. The thing with viral fevers typically is that they do have these gastrointestinal and constitutional symptoms already seen in your family.

The chances of yourself harboring the virus depends on the type of viral infection especially if it is endemic to your geographical area. But, as this looks like a non-critical viral infection not in the league of epidemic proportions - nevertheless requires medical attention anyway.

The symptomatology does not necessarily be the same in all your family members. It may differ slightly. I understand that your duties of being a pastor involves your speeches with many individuals - hence I would recommend you to seek medical help before you may want to keep work first on your list.

Yes, that is good understanding on your part -when you say spreading is the last thing you would want to do.

Your family should consult a family physician at the earliest in entirety to get to the bottom of the diagnosis and to have symptomatic treatment immediately. Because, the immunity suffers in cases of infection and your family may need some prescription drugs to help the body fight the infection if any.

Loss of appetite is one of the symptoms too, because of the low grade fever. It will be back once everything subsides.

Over the counter pills may not always work and in your case, your family deserves the medical attention as soon as possible.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Child with heavy vomiting, diarrhoea, no energy, headache, low grade fever, indigestion. Is it viral infection? 11 minutes later
I don't understand this phrase in your answer: "hence I would recommend you to seek medical help before you may want to keep work first on your list." So are you saying you think I have been infected and should stay home until I can see my doctor or I should keep work first on my list?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 51 minutes later

Yes, I meant you should seek medical help before you may want to get back to work. Staying home was an option I felt necessary in the backdrop of your profession that involves being in a gathering of many people until you are back in good health.

I cannot confirm the presence of infection purely on the basis of your words, as you may require blood tests or others to confirm the presence of infection which will be decided on the basis of your clinical examination.

Let me know if you have additional concerns.