Child with hearing difficulty. Do we need to get her listening tested?

Hi Doctor,

Our baby, Sreshta is 3 months and 2 weeks old. She's active and is growing as per benchmarks.

She's been tested for hearing and sight immediately after birth and has been certified with good abilities to hear and see. Lately, my wife has been complaining that she's not turning to see towards the side from which a sound is coming, unless if the sound is loud (she's not responding to the toys' sound, but cries when the whistle of a cooker goes off). On observation, I found that though she's not turning her head, she's slowing down her activity (or rather reacting) when a sound is made. Is this a regular phenomenon or do we need to get her listening tested again?
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 33 hours later

Relax,do not worry.

Since your baby was screened at birth for hearing and vision test which was normal.
At the age of 3 months baby is becoming more aware of his/her surroundings.
Hearing and vision will improve and babies turn their head and smile at sounds of parents voices or music.
But every baby is slightly different and some variations are normal.
I suggest you to watch her other activities regarding motor activities,communication,sleep pattern etc.

By age of 3 months you need to consult your pediatrician if your baby has not achieved following milestones;
-no respond to noises
-do not follow people or objects with eyes.
-not smiling.
-do not reach for objects.

Hope I have answered your query,in case you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.
God bless!!