Child with general tongue pain and low appetite. Symptoms of foot and mouth disease?

Feb 2013

Hello, my 7 year old daughter has been complaining of general tongue pain for the past couple of days, and has also had a loss of appetite and been pretty lethargic. She mentioned it felt like there were bumps on her tongue, but it wasn't until tonight that I noticed two small blisters on the tongue. Picture is below. Could this be hand, foot and mouth disease, or possibly something else? I did some general internet research and the bumps seem to be consistent wiith what I saw for that disease. If so: i) there is no treatment--so does it require a visit to the doctor? ii) since it is contagious does she need to stay home from school and other activities, or can she still attend them as long as she isn't sharing drinks with anybody? iii) what do i need to watch out for in terms of complications? i saw some mention of meningitis and other scary things in my internet research. Thanks for your assistance.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks like aphthous ulcers. Get her examined.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the picture of her attached with this query and can understand your concern.

Hand-Foot-Mouth Disease(HFMD) usually presents with blisters on hands and feet in addition to blisters or ulcers in mouth and tongue. So examine the child extremities especially hands and feet for any blisters.

But only blisters or ulcers on tongue without lesions on limbs could be due to aphthous ulcers or herpangina.

Deficiency of B complex vitamins also present with ulcers on tongue. And this can be treated by giving multivitamin syrup.

Clinical examination by the doctor will diagnose the condition so that appropriate symptomatic and definite treatment can be suggested, hence I advise you to visit the doctor.

She can attend school and other activities if she is not dull, not having fever or dehydration, but she should avoid sharing drinks.

Watch for fever, lesions on other parts of body, headache, vomitings, and signs of dehydration(because of less oral intake) such as decreased activity, less urine, thirst, and decreased skin turgor.

Stop worrying about meningitis.

Ask him to take plenty of oral fluids and soft diet to maintain hydration and nutrition.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician for clinical examination and for further advice.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.